It turned out to be a clear blue sky day when we got to the plot this morning. Last night, my oldest friend had driven up from London to give me some digging time today. The soil was still quite sticky, heavy and cold, but we got digging anyway. The roots of some of the docks we levered out were huge and the brightest carrot orange I have seen. There are lots more to go, but we have definitely made progress.
With a brief stop for coffee and cupcakes in the sun, we dug for hours. So there is a newly dug bed across the back of the plot where it gets lots of sun. Added some peat free compost on top as a mulch, but it will need much more to improve drainage and break up the heaviness of the clay. Will also add pea shingle before putting in my sweet peas. These are hardening off nicely outside and in cold frames at home.
All the plants I put in the plot last week look healthy and settled in. The orlaya is a bit brown at the edges, but seems to recovering and the sweet rocket is shiny and green. More achillea cerise queen have been planted and have risked planting out some of the many moth mullein plants which have overwintered in pots.
Even though there are probably at least 4 more beds to be dug, feel that the plot has moved on noticeably. So many thanks to hard working, digging friend.
Will definitely be ordering ranunculus picotee now!